Give it to the people to eat.
- In the first reading, the prophet Elisha shows great faith in the power of God.
- Elisha insists that everyone will be fed with an obvious insufficient amount of food.
- The true nourishment of the prophets is God’s word which overflows and nourishes all around them.
Bear with one another lovingly.
- The unity given to Christians through one Baptism in Christ is the subject of today's passage from the Letter to the Ephesians.
- Christians are one Body in Christ.
- This unity is exemplified by Christians living in peace.
Jesus gave the people all the food they wanted.
- The miraculous feeding in today's Gospel provides a glimpse of the heavenly banquet, where there will never be hunger again.
- The early Christians recognized in this miracle that hunger for life is the hunger that Jesus satisfies.
- This story of the multiplication of the loaves becomes the symbol for Jesus' Eucharistic feeding of his disciples through the ages.